Private Crete: Sunset Tour in Zorbas Land
Channel the life-affirming spirit of Zorba the Greek as we explore the unique nature of the Akrotiri peninsula. Breathtaking views and pretty monasteries abound as we get off the beaten track and discover the real Cretan countryside. An organic wine and olive oil tasting in a magical monastery is followed by a trip to Zorba’s beach to watch the sunset, glass of raki in hand. The simple pleasures in life don’t get better than this; Zorba would be proud!
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Savor 5 different wines with a professional sommelier on hand, in the magical atmosphere of one of the most beautiful monasteries in Crete;
- Take a hike to the famous Αrkoudospilios Bear Cave;
- Taste, enjoy and learn about Crete’s most famous product, olive oil;
- Get a close-up view of the filming locations of Zorba the Greek;
- Watch the sunset over Stavros beach while sipping raki and feasting on traditional mezedes.
Take your cue from Zorba the Greek and re-ignite your lust for life on this fabulous sunset tour and wine tasting. On the big screen, Zorba lives life to the fullest and that’s what we will do as we explore the beautiful Akrotiri peninsula.
After collecting you from your hotel, we will drive out of the city, through traditional villages and tree-lined country roads. Soon the scenery will turn almost biblical, all barren and rocky terrain, wild olive trees and wandering sheep as we approach our first stop.
The stunning Moni Gouverneto or Monastery of Gouverneto is one of the oldest monasteries in Crete, sitting high on a clifftop. Built in 1537, the buildings boast a pretty Venetian-style façade and incredible views across the Aegean Sea.
After admiring another breathtaking vista (there will be lots on this tour!) we will go for a short but dramatic hike down a rocky paved path to Αrkoudospilios, meaning the ‘Bear Cave.’ But don’t be afraid! The only bear in this cave is a natural rock formation but the myths and tales that inhabit it will have you questioning reality.
After soaking up more amazing views, we’ll head back to our car and visit one of the richest and most beautiful monasteries in Greece, Agia Triada of Tzagarolon.
The monastery, whose name means "Holy Trinity," was built in the 17th century and is well known for the knock-out wines and olive oil it produces, with a high sense of responsibility and respect for the traditional economy and local ecology.
Amongst the Renaissance architecture, we will sample five different organic wines guided by a dedicated sommelier. Our special tasting will also include olive oil made on the estate, accompanied by feta cheese, olives and rusks.
Once the sun starts setting over this magical place, we will head over to Stavros beach, where Zorba taught cinema audiences how to dance. With a glass of raki in your hand and mouthwatering mezedes (local tapas) to feast on, we will finish our day the way he would have wanted it, happily drunk on the simple pleasures in life.
Note: This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travelers. A solo traveler may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travelers.
The pick-up times change throughout the year due to different sunset times (between 3 pm and 5:30 pm, depending on the season).
Approximate pick-up times are as follows: March - 16:00; April - 16:30; May - 17:00; June & July - 17:30; August - 17:00; September - 16:30; October - 16:00; November - 15:00.
- Local English-speaking and knowledgeable wine expert guide
- Roundtrip transportation
- Entrance fees
- Sampling of 5 local wines accompanied with feta cheese
- Olives and rusks
- Olive oil tasting
- A bottle of water
- A glass of raki
- Seasonal mezedes (octopus, stuffed vegetables, cheese, fried vegetables)
Price does not include
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs or personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide and driver
- Pickup time: 4.00 PM
- Duration: 4 - 5 hours
- Language: English
- Pickup location: Pick-up from your Chania hotel.
- Drop off location: Drop off back at your hotel.
- Chania.; departure at: 16:00; Pick-up from your Chania hotel. Pick-up times change due to different sunset times (between 3pm and 5:30pm, depending on season).
- Dress standard: To enter the monasteries you must respect the special dress code: long sleeves, covered shoulders, long pants or skirts. The requirements are skirts below the knee for women and no shorts for men. No tank tops or sleeveless shirts for anyone. Please wear comfortable shoes for walking on uneven rocky terrain.
- You will be in a small group of a maximum 2 people. This is a private tour.
- Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour, however, please bear in mind that it this tour requires a walk on uneven, rocky terrain for approximately 30 minutes. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.