Crete: Made In Chania
Get to know the artistic side of Chania on this shopping tour that skips over mass-produced goods and digs up authentic finds. We’ll take you into local workshops, where you can meet with the artisans making jewellery, ceramics, wooden pieces and much more. Then try your own artistic skills with a mini lesson in one of the studios!
- Meet artisans in their workshops, in an area of Chania dedicated to art and craftwork;
- Learn about the production of handmade objects that are typical to local culture;
- Put your own artistic skills to the test while learning about pottery, painting and more;
- Support local artists by shopping for authentic, handmade souvenirs by local people;
- Enjoy a traditional breakfast of coffee and pastry at a beloved local spot.
We’ll start our Chania tour the local way: with a coffee and a taste of one of the most traditional pastries of Crete, in the most traditional place in town. We’ll enjoy a bit of bougatsa (a cheese-filled pastry) in a shop that’s been loved by locals for years.
Fuelled up after our breakfast, we’ll drive in a private vehicle for about 15 minutes to reach our destination: a unique part of town that’s completely dedicated to the work of local artisans.
You’ll visit several of the artisans who live and work in this area, and learn about the importance and local impact that crafts such as pottery and clay have had in the history of the island.
You’ll also get to test out your own artistic skills, at a ceramics workshop! Talk to the local artist about their techniques and browse through their unique pieces. You’ll learn tips and tricks for finding the best and most authentic souvenirs, so the next time you’re out shopping in Chania, you’ll know what to look for.
We’ll uncover various works such as religious paintings, handmade jewellry and unique objects made of wood, glass or other more unusual materials.
By the end of this Chania shopping tour, you’ll have a better understanding of the authentic crafts of Crete, and how they represent the island’s local culture.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Transportation during tour
- Traditional local snack (bougatsa)
Price does not include
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Starting time: 9.00 AM
- Duration: 4 hours
- Language: English
- Meeting point: Municipal Market of Chania (Agora). Your guide will be standing in front of the market building.
- Ending point: Municipal Market of Chania.
- Chania.; departure at: 09:00; Municipal Market of Chania (Agora). Your guide will be standing in front of the market building.
- Dress standard: Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- You will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.