Crete: Crete Countryside Adventure
Journey into the heart of Crete for an unforgettable taste of country life that has barely changed for centuries. Driving through the hills, past dreamy olive groves and ancient ruins, we will take you to secret places that only locals know about. You will be welcomed at a traditional metoxi farm where the shepherd lives like a king, despite having no electricity. Learn his secrets as you enjoy a traditional Cretan lunch amid fresh mountain air and glorious sunshine.
- Linger over a very special Cretan lunch, cooked on an open fire amid the unspoiled nature of the Greek countryside
- Discover the peaceful life of a traditional Cretan shepherd and explore his oh-so-comfortable methoxy (shepherd’s hut)
- Revel in some of the most stunning scenery on the island, including a special spot that has the best views across the beautiful Bay of Mirabello
- Find out how to make Cretan raki (a distant cousin of absinthe) and have a taste
Are you ready for your adventure into the picturesque countryside of ancient Crete? Your day will begin with a drive through the traditional village of Kritsa, where we will stop for a coffee at a kafeneio (local café).
This will be our first and only stop in ‘civilisation’ as we know it; our tour from here on out leads you into the mountains and ancient forest of Kroustas, away from the hustle and bustle of the resort towns on the coast.
Kroustas is a rare forest that has been consistently colonized and utilized by humans for the last 4,000 years. Ancient stone constructions from the time of the Minoans are still visible today. Nowadays, the landscape has special protection status.
We will discover hidden churches and ancient water irrigation channels as we drive, stopping to admire stunning vistas. The views from the Fortezza, an old Minoan watch point, are particularly picturesque.
More natural beauty can be found amid the vineyards, fields of olive trees, colorful beehives and, of course, the impressive pine and oak trees of the forest. Here we will do some foraging for local herbs to take home to make a fresh cup of herb tea.
An unmarked road will truly allow us to escape from the rest of the world as for making our way along it to meet our host for lunch. The local shepherd will greet us in his unique methoxy (a typical Greek shepherd’s hut only found in remote areas of the country). Our shepherd contends with the elements every day and has no access to electricity or modern comforts, so for a couple of hours at least, you will experience a wonderfully simple way of life that doesn’t exist in modern cities.
All this fresh air, silence, and the smell of pine trees is enough to give anyone an appetite, so we have a very special and unique treat planned for you. Your host will cook a delicious and entirely organic Cretan lunch for you over an open fire. And of course, no lunch finishes in Crete without raki, so you will discover first-hand the secrets of how to make it and, most importantly, drink it.
After a memorable day exploring the wilds of ancient Greece, it is time to take you back on the road towards civilization.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Roundtrip transportation from meeting point (private vehicle)
- 1 coffee
- 1 iced tea
- Organic lunch (meat and vegetarian option)
- 1 glass of wine and shots of raki (a local spirit)
Price does not include
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs or personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide and driver
- Starting time: 9.45 AM-10.15 AM
- Duration: 7 hours
- Language: English
- Meeting point:
- Plaka: At 9:45 am at the Agia Marina church, next to the Blue Palace hotel.
- Elounda: At 9:55 am at the square and roundabout at the church side.
- Agios Nikolaos: At 10:15 am at the bridge in front of the tourist information office.
- Ending point: Same as meeting point.
- You will be in a small group of a maximum of 6 people.
- Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes for walking, and bring a hat and sunscreen in the summer months.