Crete, Heraklion: Foodies’ Feast of Heraklion
Crete is a foodies’ paradise and Heraklion is the capital! Come experience the city like a local and explore the neighbourhoods where residents live, eat, and shop, all while snacking away on the best local treats on the island.
- Experience real Cretan food at 8 authentic stops away from the tourist crowds;
- Become a cheese–tasting expert by learning how to spot the best local cheeses;
- Savour Heraklion’s bougatsa, a 'must-taste' for any visitor to the city, and find out why organic Cretan olive oil is one of the best oils in the world;
- Enjoy a glass of local wine and learn the process from harvest to bottle;
- Learn about Greek coffee and see it brewed the traditional way.
Join us on this food and wine tour of Heraklion that will treat your taste buds to authentic Cretan dishes and local wines! During our three-hour walk, we’ll introduce you to the best food that Heraklion has to offer. The Cretan cuisine is one of the healthiest and tastiest diets in the world, and the base of the Mediterranean diet, and you’ll find out how Crete’s culture, history, and geography have all helped to create the region’s unique cuisine. On this Crete food tour, we’ll take a stroll through Heraklion’s local neighbourhoods as we share with you our passion for food and discuss local culinary traditions.
We’ll start our Heraklion tour with a traditional Greek coffee, also known as ellinikós kafés. Drinking coffee is a daily ritual in Greece, and as we sip our freshly brewed dark liquid, you’ll learn all about the history of coffee in the country.
At our next stop, you’ll savour Heraklion’s famous bougatsa, a must-taste for any visitor to the city. Bougatsa is a pastry consisting of semolina custard, cheese, or minced meat filling between layers of phyllo. Best of all, you’re going to taste the best ones in town, as the owners of this spot have been mastering their bougatsa technique since 1922!
Leaving the historical centre, we’ll then visit a local market to chat with vendors and learn about their products. You’ll get to sample olives, rusks, and cheese — and we’ll even teach you to how to maximise your enjoyment and appreciation of cheese (yes, it is possible to love it even more than you already do). And of course, no food tour of Crete would be complete without tasting the island’s famous olive oil, so that’s next on our agenda!
After all these tastings, we’ll then sit down for a local meat dish — or if you’re brave enough for fried snails, you can sample a dish that’s loved by most locals!
We’ll then finish up our Heraklion food tour by trying some local wines from a family-run shop. Wine has a long history on Crete, having been made on the island since the Bronze Age.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary (coffee, rusks, olives, cheese, pastries, traditional sweets, local wine/spirit tasting, meats)
- The inclusions are more than enough that you can skip lunch! (Vegetarian options are available but please let us know at the time of booking.)
Price does not include
- Additional food and drinks
- Items of a personal nature, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Starting time: 11.00 AM
- Duration: 3 - 3.5 hours
- Language: English
- Meeting point: Eleftherias Square, in the city centre. Eleftherias Square is the main square in Heraklion, near the Archaeological Museum, the Astoria Hotel, the Prefecture, and the Gate of Saint George. Your guide will be holding a Crete Urban Adventures sign.
- Ending point: Venetian Port of Heraklion
- Heraklion.; departure at: 11:00; arrival at: 14:30; Eleftherias Square, in the city centre. Eleftherias Square is the main square in Heraklion, near the Archaeological Museum, the Astoria Hotel, the Prefecture, and the Gate of Saint George.