Crete: Samaria gorge
Excursion with English or German guide every Thursday.
Highly recommend it for those who love to walk, especially in the mountains. Samaria is Europe's longest dry gorge and is 18 kilometers long. You will walk 16 kilometres, but if don't want to or you simply can't then you can walk only 13 km. The last 3 kilometers to the port of Agia Roumeli more lazy people can "overcome" on a special bus.
The expedition begins in the village of Omolos (altitude of 1227 m.a.s.l.). From the main gate, the so-called "wooden stairs", we will descend down through the pine forest up to about 600 m.a.s.l. From here, you begin to wander among the imposing rocks and the road sowly begins to narrow up to 3.5 meters in a place called the Steel Gate. During the crossing of the gorge we can meet Kri-kri (so-called cretan goat) and visit the abandoned village of Samaria, whose inhabitants were displaced in 1962, during the creation of the National Park. Most tourists come to the gorge to admire majestic rocks and beautiful Cretan wildlife. At the end of the gorge there is the aforementioned picturesque village of Agia Roumeli, from where the ship leaves to Chora Sfakion. Agia Roumeli makes an amazing impression, and is isolated from the sea and mountains and can be reached only through the Samaria gorge or by sea.
Possible meeting points: Malia, Stali, Hersonissos, Anissaras / Analipsi, Gouves, Amoudara.
Time of meeting depending on selected spot between 5:10 - 6:15 (coming back between 20:45 - 22:00).
- Transfer to/from the hotel
- English or German guide
Price does not include
- Entrance to Samaria Gorge - 5€ (compulsory payment)
- Boat ticket - 11€ (compulsory payment)
- Time of meeting depending on selected spot between. 5:45 do 6:55 (coming back between 20:45-22:00)
- Online booking only. We recommend to book the trip while you're still at home
- We advise to take a passport or ID, no matter the age
- Good physical conditioned is advised
- 1-2 days before the trip, a resident of the local tour operator will contact you to arrange a meeting at the hotel for a surcharge in euros, discussing details of the tour, hotel transfer and meeting points