Crete: day tour to Chrissi Island from Heraklion
Are you in search of “Paradise lost”? Do you want to feel, for a while, like a modern castaway, stranded on a desert island? Chrissi Island is the answer!
Whatever you do on Chrissi Island, one thing is for sure: you’ll live Robinson Crusoe’s life for a day!
- Pass the narrowest point of the island, with its 16 km and experience the difference in terms of temperatures from the North to the South coast of Crete.
- Visit the southernmost town of Europe, Ierapetra where also already once Napoleon Bonaparte personally resided.
- Enjoy the ride on the Lybian Sea and be enchanted by the colours of the blue tones.
- Conquer the island and explore the unique nature with its beautiful beaches, its many shells.
- Browse the last still existing cedar forest with its curious dwellings
Our adventure starts in the beautiful city of Ierapetra, which is located on the southern coast of the island. From there, a short boat trip takes you to the secluded island of Chrissi. During the journey, you're often accompanied by yellow-legged gulls and dolphins that enjoy the magic of the Libyan Sea, until you finally drop anchor to the “Island”, as the locals are used to calling it.
Chrissi is a secluded, isolated, almost tropical island on the most southern end of Crete. Due to its unparalleled beauty and its unique ecosystem, it is under the protection of Natura 2000 Networking Programmed, as a wildlife refuge and an “area of intense natural beauty”. The pristine beaches, the myriads of shell fossils on volcanic rocks -remnants of the time that the island was sunk in the sea, limpets and corals, the shallow crystal clear waters, the cedar forest, the fine reddish sand with the mosses and lichens, the old salt marsh, the Roman carved tombs, the small church of St. Nicolas and the peacefulness of this unique ecosystem are bound to steal your heart and make you daydream.
So, if you wish to get away from the hustle and bustle of the civilization, even for a single day, if you want to swim, to explore, to relax under the scorching sun, come to Chrissi with us!
A short drive to the east of Crete takes us to the south coast with the picturesque town of Ierapetra, which is also the warmest and southernmost city of Europe. Here you'll catch the boat that will carry you over the ever-changing colors of the crystal clear waters of the Libyan Seas to the little island of Chrissi.
Pick up and drop off from the main road, partly from the exit of hotels from Agia Pellagia (only on Tuesdays and Fridays), Heraklion, Kokkini Chani, Gournes, Gouves, Annissaras, Analipsi, Hersonissos, Stalis, Malia.
Please mention the Hotel or accommodation of your stay.
- Ride in a modern, fully air-conditioned coach, live tour guide on Tuesday in EN – FR, live tour guide on Friday in EN – GE – FR – ITL – RUS, live tour guide on Sunday in EN – GE - FR
- Pick up and drop off from the main road, partly from the exit of hotels from Agia Pellagia on Tuesday and Friday, Heraklion, Kokkini Chani, Gournes, Gouves, Annissaras, Analipsi, Hersonissos, Stalis, Malia on Tueday, Friday + Sunday
Price does not include
- Boat ticket: €16.-adults, children up to 12 years 50%
- District / Municipality fee 1 €
- All extras will be collected from the tour guide in the bus
- Pickup Agia Pelagia 5 € to pay to the driver
- Please arrive 5 min before scheduled departure at the meeting point
- Ability to travel with small children: Yes (if they feel comfortable on the bus and under the sun)
- What to take with you: Hat, sun-protection crème, swimming dress, water, money for lunch. Walking part: It is up to you to walk on the island or not, for handicap not so suitable