Hike & Wine North
• Work up an appetite on this enjoyable hike through a typical Canarian laurisilva forest in beautiful Tacoronte, on the north coast of Tenerife.
• Get to know the historical Monje winery and learn about wine making on the island.
• Enjoy a delightful 3-course lunch and taste top quality wines from the winery.
• Take in the outstanding panoramic views from the restaurant’s terrace, overlooking Mount Teide and the coastline.
To start, we’ll pick you up at your hotel in our comfortable private van in the morning. Watch the scenery unfold as we drive through mountain villages towards the Agua García forest in Tacoronte. During the drive our expert guides will share information about the area and are happy to answer any questions.
Arriving at the start of the hiking route, your guide will give you a short briefing about the day’s hike and hand out snacks and water. We have a few of different options, depending on how long we want to make the hike. Most trails take about 1,5-2 hours to complete, taking you along narrow mountain paths that criss-cross in the thick laurisilva forest.
After a brief rest at one of the scenic BBQ areas you will continue past several points of interest, which can vary slightly depending on the route we’re taking. One of them is a small donkey farm, where you can stop and take photos. You can also see 16th century caves that were once used by local miners to extract minerals to create glass.
Finally emerging from the hiking trail, we get back in the van and continue on to the historical Bodegas Monje, where the Monje family have been producing wine for five generations, specialising in red wines from Listán Negro and Negramoll grapes. The winery sits on the hills of La Hollera in the El Sauzal municipality. You will get a private tour of the winery and learn about the history of wine on the island and see the techniques used to make wine today.
After the tour you will head to the on-site restaurant and enjoy a delicious three-course lunch of fresh bread, pumpkin soup, Canarian potatoes and oven-baked pork followed by coffee and dessert, accompanied by three top quality wines from the estate. An optional vegetarian main course is available.
One of the highlights of the restaurant is its impressive terrace offering breathtaking views of the vineyards below, the coastline and Mount Teide in the horizon. Sitting here sipping wines and eating good food in the afternoon is just the perfect way to reward yourself after the hike!
After the meal you will have a chance to make purchases at the on-site wine shop. The perfect souvenir to take back home!
- Professional guides
- Transportation in an air-conditioned van
- Snacks & beverages
- Rain jackets, walking sticks (if needed)
- Excellent three-course lunch with wine
- Photos of the day
- The minimum age to participate is 10 years old
- The hike is suitable for all participants in good general health
- Hotel pickup
- The hike takes about 2 hours, walking at a moderate, enjoyable pace
- Bring: Proper hiking or sports footwear and something warm to wear as it can get slightly chilly in the forest